What do the dogs do at Sommercamp?
- Pets staying at camp have a busy day. The morning begins with a quick trip outside and then, back in for breakfast. After breakfast everyone goes out for a longer play session. Mid day (or earlier if the weather is bad) everyone comes in for a rest. Then, back outside for an afternoon play session. Everyone comes back in for dinner and a break, and then back outside once more before bed. Most dogs quickly make friends and are happy to get a chance to bark, race around and generally cut loose. Everybody gets a cookie after each break.
What is the facility like?
- Our kennel is a converted horse barn, right next to our house. It is heated and air conditioned, and very comfortable. The pets each have their own place, with their own soft bed, fresh water and toys. When the pets are inside, they can see each other, as well as the busy activities of our family and friends. The running yards are large, fenced and full of toys. Most dogs learn the way out to the running yards quickly. At night, lights are turned down and music plays quietly in the background.
What do the dogs eat?
- We feed IAMS brand dog food. However, many pets arrive with their own food, which is fine with us. All that we ask is that the food is labeled. Because of our small size, we easily accommodate special diets or requests.
Can you give medications?
- Yes, we can accommodate pets with medications provided by the owner. We ask that you supply the medication in a clearly labeled “pill-a-day” container, to assure an accurate dosing schedule. Please note: the label should include the pet’s first and last name, medication name and the dosage.
What if my dog is scared or won’t eat?
- Most pets are scared at first, and then quickly get in the swing of things. Sometimes they may not eat well the first day or two. However, we have very good luck getting pets to relax and enjoy their visit. If your dog is homesick and doesn’t eat, we have a refrigerator full of goodies to coax even the pickiest eater to try a nibble. If, despite our best efforts your dog is stressed by the experience of staying with us, we will let you know. Some dogs just don’t want to leave home!
What are your hours?
- We pick up and deliver pets from the Dog Wash, in Wilmette IL, on Monday and Thursday mornings.We also offer flexible drop off or pick up hours at our grooming shop (Pet Services) in Paddock Lake (three miles from Sommercamp). Our Sommer Pet Camp facility accepts reservations, pet drop-offs and pick-ups by appointment only — pleasecontact us ahead of time. Because we are a small, home-based family business, we do require arrangements to be made in advance.
Are you open on Sundays and holidays?
- We are not open on Sundays or major holidays.
What if my dog gets sick?
- If your pet becomes ill, we will contact you and seek the advice of our veterinary facility,
Harris Pet Hospital).
If we think your pet needs veterinary attention, we promptly seek it.
Can the pets watch tv?
- No! The pets listen to a variety of music and talk, depending on who is controlling the sound system. However our facility does not include a plasma tv, a swimming pool or aromatherapy. We do have a pond and a candle, and for visual entertainment, pets may watch the squirrels through the windows.
What are your rates?
- $35 per night. Grooming is an additional charge, which varies by breed.
Do you charge extra if my dog needs medication? Or for playtime?
- No. If your dog needs medication we want him to have it during the visit. Playtime is important for every dog (and human) and we do not charge for this (or consider it optional!)
I have another question.
- We want to answer it! Please email us at email@example.com